Sunday, June 21, 2009

Herbs and Our Front Porch


I picked up some herbs from two different places lately and finally planted them today. The planter boxes are something that my Dad was getting rid of. I think he made them from old deck lumber. I painted over the brown paint so they now match our porch. There were already drain holes drilled in the bottoms. I added some hay and then a mix of peat moss, vermiculite, and perlite.

From left to right we have Peppermint, Thyme, and Lavender. If the plants do well I expect the Peppermint and Lavender to fill in the box.


Here from left to right is Curly Parsley, Rosemary, Basil, and more Curly Parsley.


We were just talking about how much we enjoy our porch so I thought I'd share a few more pictures. A passerby during early evening might find us sipping iced tea in our Adirondack chairs. We found this table in the garage when we moved in so I painted it to match.


Of course the dogs are never far away. I'm really surprised that Maci hasn't chewed up or otherwise damaged those citronella pots yet. I picked them up on clearance years ago for 10 cents each and just got them out the other day.


The iced tea is cold, won't you join us for a glass!?



P.S. I've finally replied to the comments from the last 3 posts so if you had left a comment you may want to check back there. Sorry I've been slacking lately! :)

3 comments:

Farmer's Daughter said...

Love the herbs! It's so nice to walk out and pick fresh herbs to add to supper.

I love your porch. I'd come over for iced tea (and maybe bring a pie with me) if it wasn't such a trip! :(

Jena said...

FD - Yeah, if you guys every want a cheap vacation we'll put you up for a while! Ed might not want to come when we're doing hay, Brian would put him to work.

Anonymous said...

That tea sounds good! =) It's so nice to just go outside and get fresh herbs, isn't it? It's one of my favorite things to do!