Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Good Day

I've really been enjoying life this week. Here are some of the highlights:

I fed the chickens in the rain and felt so proud and content standing in the rain watching them huddle together in the nice dry shelter that Brian and I built. They are getting big!

I came in the house and appreciated how each dog stopped on the landing and let me wipe their feet one by one before they went upstairs.

I've worked up a sweat more than once and feel sooo much better because of it.

Since I've been working so hard I've started out with cold showers and then turned them to hot. This is new to me and very refreshing.

The meal plan is so liberating, I want to do it every week. While dinner is cooking I arrange all the supplies for the next night's meal. Plus, I haven't been late for work because I'm scrambling to pack my lunch. Now I really enjoy getting good meals on the table every night.

I got a letter saying there was a problem with our taxes, got a big refund, got scared that it was a mistake, and almost cried with happiness to find that it was really our money. This, our second year farming, will be our first year paying all of the inputs and borrowing ZERO dollars to farm. This is a dream I'd hoped for years down the line, not something I expected for our second year.

Brian and I fell asleep in the living room at 7:30 the other night. The dogs woke us up so we moved to the bedroom. It was still light out for another 2 hours. We couldn't fall asleep so we just lounged around, watched TV, talked, played with the cat, and put pillows on each other's heads to hide the light. There was no funny business if that's what you're thinking (!) but it was great just to be together in our normally hectic life.

I harvested my first two pea pods yesterday, and boy were they delicious!! Plus I was able to pick fresh garlic scapes to go with our dinner tonight.

I could go on and on. Hopefully these happy times will last awhile, I'm really enjoying them.

What little things are you enjoying lately? Please share!

6 comments:

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

What? No funny business? :) LOL

Farmer's Daughter said...

No funny business? How am I ever going to be an auntie???

I've been enjoying the little things, too. It's hectic at work this week but my last final is today, then just cleaning up next week.

Gardening, going to bed early, getting up early, spending time with my husband and our families.

Everydaywoman said...

Jena,

Thanks for sharing your wonderful news of everything! Working hard is fulfilling. . . and congrats on the refund and the successful farming! In these economic times, that's incredible, especially in farming. But, just know that as farmers, you'll always be able to grow your own food and take care of the basics, even when things are tight everywhere else.

When life is so hectic, it's hard to count those little blessings along the way, but slowing down to do so is SO important!

I'm so grateful that our 3 children actually enjoy each other's company and that tonight Abbie's two brothers are at HER house, instead of mine!

juliana said...

Hey Jena! Thanks so much for the advice on the push-ups, I will give it a go tonight. :) Your blog is so lovely!

Jena said...

Jennifer & FD - Get your minds out of the gutter ladies! I can't share those details, my family reads this! Lol ;)

FD - Gosh, your school goes late. I think ours' have been out for 2 or 3 weeks now. My cousin/close friend is a HS teacher too. I know how crazy the end of the year can be for her so I'd imagine it is the same for you. Almost done!

Ruth - Thanks for the encouragement. I'll feel more secure when we can start paying extra on our mortgage. Our jobs are both more secure than normal around here so I don't worry too much. As long as we can pay our mortgage and our taxes I have no doubt that we could live well without much spending money.
Well, well, with all of your children out of the house I guess we know where the funny business WAS happening!! ;)

Juliana - Thanks for the comment, I'm glad you like my blog. Stop back anytime!

Anonymous said...

I loved this post. It's the little things that add up and make life good, isn't it? =)