Saturday, August 29, 2009

Peaches, Pears, Beans, Oh My!


My Mom came last weekend and helped with the peaches, I think we got 19 quarts in all. That was from 1 1/2 bushels of "seconds" peaches and I would guess we lost about 1/2 bushel of them to rotten spots and bruises. I picked 2 bushels of pears at my grandma's on Sunday. The blueberries in our area are done already but there happened to be a blueberry farm near my grandma's that was still open so I stopped and picked almost 5 pounds of blueberries. Then I swung by our friends' house on the way home and picked a 5 gallon pail full of green and yellow beans. They said take all I wanted but that was plenty for me!!
Today is the day to catch up on all of this. I might renew our Netflix for the season so I can watch instant movies while I sit here peeling and slicing.






Have a great Saturday. Are you canning anything this weekend?

7 comments:

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

Looks fantastic! Have fun! :) Are you happy with the netflix? We are thinking of trying that. I am not canning anything else until apple season is in full swing. Then I plan to make a ton of apple butter! :)

Jena said...

Thanks!
We are very happy with Netflix. I'm a little frustrated right now because the instant movies aren't loading very well but I think that is my internet connection's fault not Netflix. We canceled it for the summer when we were outside a lot but it is great in fall and winter. Plus, at about 1/3 the cost of cable or satellite we can't beat it. The service is very speedy, I can put a movie in the mailbox on Tuesday and have a new one on Thursday. Very rarely do a hear of a movie that I can't find on there either.
Mmm... apple butter, that sounds so good. I've never made that!

angie said...

Wow! That is a serious amount of food!! Good for you!

No canning for me this weekend. We are going to a party at a friends' house tonight - they are trying our their new pizza/bread outdoor brick oven. They built it themselves (in the Chicago city limits) - I can't wait for Bill to see it, I just know I am going to want one!

Farmer's Daughter said...

Oh, I wanted to can peaches but never got to it... Now they're pretty much done around here. Oh well :(

I will be canning a bunch of applesauce when apple season is in full swing.

Jena said...

Angie - that oven sounds great. Maybe you can snag a picture? The people who grind our flour have an oven that they built. I don't know if we'll ever get that advanced but it would be nice to have an oven like that and/or a summer kitchen.

FD - Oh, joy, applesauce. =P Once I knock out this weekend's canning all that is left is apples and tomatoes. Maybe some corn. Last year I was doing apples for weeks. I definitely have a love/hate relationship with this job!

Lisa said...

Yesterday i canned cukes/made pickels today we canned green tomatoes ,made relish. This year I had jars break, I think I over fill.

lin741852 said...

burberry bolsas
chanel bolsas
chloe bolsas
porte cles louis vuitton
boucle chanel
dior bolsas
sac dolce gabbana
sac fendi
sac guess
sac guess 2012
sac gucci
tee shirts armani hommes
tee shirts burberry femmes
tee shirts chanel femmes
sac guess
dolce gabbana bolsas
ed hardy bolsas
fendi bolsas
gucci bolsas
guess bolsas
dior tasche
sac a main
tee shirts
ceinture en cuir
jeans
lunettes de soleil
chaussures nike
chaussures puma
chaussures louis vuitton
porte cles chanel
bracelet louis vuitton