Friday, February 20, 2009

Knitting Socks


There has been a long running joke, or at least a funny saying, going on between my Mom and I. She tells everyone that her daughter is "growing" sheep, and she is learning to spin yarn and make socks from their wool. Everyone laughs and thinks that is the cutest thing, but it is true. My Mom took one step closer to her goal by attending a spinner's meeting and learning the basics of that art. Now she really wants a spinning wheel but they are quite expensive. As another step on her path I surprised her with a gift certificate for Christmas. It covered the cost of a class where we are learning to knit socks! My best friend got the same gift and was also very excited to learn with us.

The first class was last Saturday and we had a blast! At first we all felt like fools as we tried to piece together the information we had learned from books, the internet, and each other. It is nice to learn all those little tips and jargon you can only get from a real professional. Our teacher, Faith, is just wonderful, and so is the shop where class is held.

In the above picture you can see how much progress I'm making. When I got the first sock to the stopping point I took a leap and started the next sock on my own. I'm not sure that it is perfectly right, but I'm enjoying the project even if I have to redo some of it. I'm quite sure that the second sock is one stitch wider than the first but I suppose that will be okay.

I told all my friends and family to expect gifts of homemade socks from now on. We have been to about a dozen weddings in the last couple years so when the dozen baby showers start up I'll be all ready with lots of little baby socks. I'm already interested in another class on making slipper-type things, I'll keep you posted.

What do you like to knit? Were you surprised at your abilities? How did you learn your hobbies?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to learn how to knit socks! I can manage to make a scarf. I don't really know what I'm doing, but I kind of remember my grandma showing me how to make stitches when I was a little girl. I would LOVE to make all kinds of things like she did. Those socks are beautiful! :)

angie said...

I'm impressed! I tried socks, but those little toothpick needles drove me a little batty. However, I did knit two old fashioned stockings for our friends' cabin for christmas. I learned a lot about making socks, but on a bit of a bigger scale. You have inspired me to try socks again.

Please post about the Farm Bureau soon. I look forward to hearing about that.

p.s. And sheep! yea!

Jena said...

Julie - scarves are great though! My friend Steph makes lots of scarves and now all her friends are requesting them from her. Thanks for the compliment, I really like the colors in this yarn too! :)

Angie - I know how you feel about the needles. I would have quit in the first hour if not for the teacher pushing me. At first it boggled my mind but now I have it pretty well figured out. I would highly recommend this class and I'm sure they'll have it again if you're interested. It is only 2 hours on 3 different Saturdays plus they're great about working with your schedule. The shop is Back Alley Fibers in Caro. They had a booth at the Port Austin Farmer's Market last summer - before that I never knew they existed! Very, very nice people and super helpful.

Farmer's Daughter said...

I'm impressed! My knitting skills only include scarves, hats, and neckwarmers. I made mittens one time, but it was a little tough since I tried to do it without a pattern. (I never use patterns, just start knitting and end up ripping it out repeatedly...)

Crocheting afghans are my favorite things to make lately.