Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Waste Reduction and Chocolate Muffins



I am very excited to be taking on the the Food Waste Reduction Challenge hosted by Crunchy Chicken (see sidebar for link). To start out I tossed any old food that I found in the fridge so that we can start fresh. Most of what I tossed were old dressings and sauces that we never use and brought here with us from the old house. I also threw out some shrimp and cocktail sauce from Christmas and one thing of leftovers from a restaurant. I plan to use my postal scale to weigh anything we throw out in February.

When I got to the freezer I was relieved not to find much that needed to be tossed. I did pitch some leftover cheesy potatoes we had frozen from our wedding. Then I came across the several bags of frozen shredded zucchini from last years garden. I had yet to use any of them. So, what's a non-wasting girl to do with all that zucchini?

Make muffins! Yeah, chocolate muffins to be exact. I pulled together a recipe from a few different ones to come up with the following:

Chocolate Muffins with (Shhh!) Zucchini
2 2/3 cups whole grain pastry flour (or whole wheat flour)
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs
1 cup shredded zucchini (could also use applesauce!)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (or milk)
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped almonds and/or 1/2 cup Andes baking chips

I mixed the wet ingredients together first then added the dry. This was enough to make 24 muffins. I filled 12 muffin cups then mixed about 1/2 cup Andes mint baking chips in to the remainder. After filling the other 12 cups I sprinkled some tops with more chips and others with the almonds. I left some plain as well.

Bake at 325 degrees F for 20-25 minutes. These are delicious!! Let me know if you try them. I froze 8, took 8 to work, and left 8 for us to eat.

4 comments:

Farmer's Daughter said...

The chocolate chip zucchini cookies from Animal Vegetable Miracle are really good, too. You can download the recipes from the website if you don't have the book.

I must admit... the top of our wedding cake is still in the freezer in our old apartment (where my brother lives now). It's 4 1/2 years old and counting...

mostlypurple said...

Yaaay! another zucchini recipe. I'm going to need this come summer. 1 of my kids simply refuses to eat vegetables (except french fries or tomato sauce). Chocolate + zucchini. What a sneaky idea! Love it.

Jena said...

FD - Lol about the wedding cake. Ours is wrapped up so much that I don't think we'll be able to get it out of the box. My friend made the best cheesecake just for the wedding party - THAT is what I wish I had now!

mostlygardener - Hmm... your kid sounds a lot like my husband. His exact words, "I can't eat green beans honey, I might die!" I'm sure you'll have success with the muffins, no one here guessed the secret ingredient! :)

Everydaywoman said...

Jena~That recipe sounds great! I'll have to save it for when we're flooded with zuchini this summer. Anything you add chocolate to has to be good and I'm sure "my guys" would never know the zuchini was in it!

Abbie~It's REALLY time to dispose of that wedding cake, unless maybe it's already gone . . . who knows how hungry or desperate your brother could have gotten?